Art in the Halls: Tape Murals

ast
Sophomore Maria Bohmer Poses with her mural of bluebirds

Art pieces made of tape are currently being displayed in the hallways of Highlands. Students made a variety of different pieces, including birds, optical illusions, and even a smurf with the highlands H on its shirt. 

The project is being worked on by Mrs. Beiting’s Art II class. The goal of the project is for students to work on their perspective, planning, and collaboration skills. Students are asked to create a piece that is either interactive or uses perspective.

The pieces must be original, complex, high-quality, and collaborative. Students work with their groups to choose a design that they all like, and then work together to display their vision on the walls in the hallway. 

Maddy Lance explained: “My favorite part was probably getting the outline done.” 

Getting to see their vision come to life in the hallway was really special to the students involved. 

Avery Neiporte added: “Personally, I enjoyed pulling up the tape to put the colors underneath.” 

The vivid colors stand out against the blue and grey walls of Highlands. 

The pieces have been a hit throughout Highlands. Students enjoy taking photos with them and pointing them out to their friends. 

Senior Chanuthmi Abeysinghe said: “I really like the art in the hallways because they help brighten up the space.”