Governor’s race: The results of the November 7 election

Governor Andy Beshear after the announcement of his win as the governor of Kentucky.

Andy Beshear, current (Democrat) governor of KY, son of 61st Governor of Kentucky Steve Beshear, won the governor’s race by 67,174 votes. Beshear Faced off against Daniel Cameron (Republican) on November 7. Cameron, former attorney general, put all his eggs into one basket by dropping his role as attorney general to be the governor of Kentucky. Losing the governor’s race, what will Cameron do now?

Beshear is now in his second term as the governor of the bluegrass state, just like his father. It is a big deal for Governor Beshear to win again for the Democratic party in a significantly red state. “Tonight, Kentucky made a choice, a choice not to move to the right or to the left but to move forward for every single family,” Beshear told a crowd of supporters in Louisville.

Beshear focused highly on state issues and a less extreme near-total ban on abortion, giving his Pro-Choice advocates another victory. Beshear also stated his victory, “sends a loud, clear message — a message that candidates should run for something and not against someone. That a candidate should show vision and not sow division. And a clear statement that anger politics should end right here and right now.”

Cameron showed promise and his knowledge and skills were put on show multiple times throughout his campaign. Cameron is currently 38, and with so much time left for him to make an impact in every which way, opportunities will prevail. Cameron will very likely run again. With Cameron dropping his position as attorney general, Russell Coleman (Republican) will fill that void.