Boys Soccer: Losing in regionals

Senior Tyler Whitney before a pass

The Highlands Boys Soccer team played a tough game in the regional semi-finals on Thursday, October 12th, playing Ryle.  They lost 2-0, stopping their hopes for a state run. 

The boys’ soccer team has had a great season going 11-5-2. 

Junior, Sam Lang, said: “I think we have been staying together pretty well we worked with a few different formations. The team chemistry has been really good, we have been spending a lot of time together. I think everyone is confident in each other’s ability to handle the ball well.” 

Going into the postseason strong with all of the players having one goal. The boys’ team had a pass to the district finals because Bellevue and Dayton did not have a team. They sadly lost in pk’s against NCC but they still moved on to the regional tournament. 

The boys’ team played Covington Catholic on Tuesday, October 10th for the first round of region and they are feeling pretty good. 

Senior, Chad Gesenhues, said: “I kinda like it, it’s probably our biggest rival so we are pretty much the underdogs, but I think we can come out and beat them.” 

They won 3-2 with 3 amazing goals from Harrison Gamble, and Dawson Mills, and Zach DeSylva was the one to score the 3rd goal to solidify the game. 

The boys knew that Ryle would be a tough game but they went out and fought for 80 minutes. Unfortunately, the team could not score. This game brought their season to a close.