It’s that time of year: ACT testing

The ACT logo
ACT.org
The ACT logo

The ACT (American College Testing) is a national standardized test that measures aptitude and critical thinking. All seniors are required to take this test in order to graduate. This includes the ones here at Highlands High School on Thursday, September 12 at 8:00 a.m. in the gym. 

The majority of colleges base a part of their acceptance decisions on a student’s ACT scores.

The test also contributes to scholarships and could save students thousands on tuition. Considering this, students want to make their best effort. There are many different ways to study and prepare, and the students taking the test will want to find fitting tactics for them. 

Preparing for exams is a crucial part of any student’s high school career. Arguably, the ACT is one of the most important exams students will complete. Highlands seniors have explored many beneficial study materials and experiences. 

Senior Evan Stuart recommended a few ways to study.

“I’m doing, um, looking over previous ACTs that I’ve taken. I took a class last year over the summer that improved my score by a lot. You know, a lot of online stuff, like you know, even on TikTok there’s like a lot of ACT help that you can find.” 

Study groups can be a valuable resource for students who prefer to bounce ideas off of their peers. A study group is a small group of people who regularly meet to discuss shared fields of study. When students study this way, they can motivate and encourage each other. Students are also able to develop new study habits based on viewing other members of the group. 

Senior Owen Borden shared his views on working in a study group: “I’ve never personally tried using a study group for the ACT, but I can see the benefits ‘cause I do use like a lot of study groups in my other classes and it helps, you know if you don’t understand a concept to [find] someone, who could explain it to you.” 

Senior Stella  Halbauer elaborates on preparing with a study group: “I think there are pros and cons to it because bouncing ideas off of people is good, but also like you taking the ACT by yourself. It’s not like you’re taking it with a group.” 

Many students have great ideas to help them achieve and pass these ACTs. From study groups, and ACT prep books, to even TikTok, students seem to have found many different and helpful ways to prepare for the upcoming ACT.