Shooting Incident at Newport Levee Leaves Three Juveniles Injured

Police with the Crime Scene Unit van outside at the Newport Levee.

On Saturday night, March 16, the atmosphere surrounding the Newport Aquarium was disturbed by the sound of gunfire. Shots rang out just before 7:30 p.m., causing police to respond quickly. Newport police officers stationed on the Levee were quick to respond after hearing the alarming sounds, only to find a scene of chaos.

Authorities have not revealed the exact ages of the three juveniles who were found with gunshot wounds. The victims were quickly treated, with two sent to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital and the third to St. Elizabeth. Fortunately, all three people are believed to be in stable condition, with injuries that are not life-threatening.

Despite the seriousness of the situation, Newport police have attempted to reassure the community. Newport on the Levee has plans in place to extend the hours for the two local police detail they have to help the security team stationed down there during the hours of service. They confirm that, while a suspect is still unknown, they view this incident as isolated, ensuring that it does not pose a random threat to the public. Initial investigations indicate that the shooter and victims may have had a previous connection, reducing fears about general threats. Police are conducting interviews with the victims and witnesses to try to uncover who is behind this.

Eyewitnesses on the levee described scenes of fear and chaos as people sought cover. The urgency of the situation prompted a quick and comprehensive response from law enforcement agencies, with officers from Newport, Southgate, Campbell County, and Kentucky State Police all arriving on the scene. Crime scene units were dispatched, carefully inspecting the area for evidence that could throw light on the events surrounding the incident.

As the investigation into this disturbing occurrence continues, Newport residents and visitors are advised to stay watchful and cooperative with law enforcement. The tragedy serves as a reminder of the danger to our communities’ safety, as well as the importance of working together to maintain peace and security.