Impactful Decisions: The Current State of the Expected Government Shutdown

The U.S capitol building IN Washington DC where these decisions were made.

Currently, our nation is near the brink of yet another government shutdown. 

According to ABC News: “the possibility looks increasingly likely if Congress does not act… as soon as Sunday.”

The basis of a shutdown is fairly straightforward, however, it creates much tension for the officials and government employees who suffer from the consequences. A shutdown involves federal government functions being suspended. This means that government employees will be out of jobs until this issue is resolved. 

“Federal agencies will stop all actions deemed non-essential, and millions of federal employees, including members of the military, won’t receive paychecks,” said an AP News reporter. 

Although this seems like a relatively quick development, it could go on longer than expected. It is unknown how long this issue will take to resolve. 

“The Democratic-held Senate and Republican-controlled House are working on vastly different plans to avert a shutdown.” Which does not give a clear explanation of when this shutdown will be over and when government employees will be able to return to their jobs. 

The effect of the shutdown will greatly impact all employees without their pay, even military and troops on the front. 

Including many of the roughly 2 million military personnel and more than 2 million civilian workers across the nation.”

AP News also said: “While all of the military’s active-duty troops and reservists would continue to work, more than half of the Department of Defense civilian workforce, which is roughly 440,000 people, would be furloughed.”

Many men and women defending our country and government will be out of employment until officials can come to a solid decision.